The Devil's Advocate

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Introducing the Society for the Prevention of Mathematical Intolerance

The Einstein Pool: A Christian science fiction novel by Jake Danger $0.99


I have watched with great concern as the Forces of Superstition and Ignorance have run roughshod over the sacred beliefs of so many people. Some bigoted people seem to believe that their way is the only way, their religion is the only religion, and their “truth” is the only truth. This kind of intolerance leads to hurt feelings all around, as Christians have the audacity to tell non-Christians “…you’re wrong” (and vice versa), etc. Can't we all just get along? But I will leave the fight against religious and moral intolerance to others. There is another, little-noticed form of bigotry that has held the minds of men in a vice grip for over two millennia. It's called Mathematical Bigotry.

My first experience with this devastating form of prejudice came when I was a boy of six. My first grade teacher demeaned my mathematical pride when she rigidly imposed her own narrow-minded notions upon one of my best exercises in creative thinking. You see, we had been given a quiz that day, and I had maintained that two plus two equals five - for me, anyway. She had the nerve to insult my individuality by insisting that two plus two equals four, and nothing else. And flunked me. I wonder if I have ever fully recovered from that humiliation. Although I have no objection to people who assert that two plus two equals four - for them - I must object when they attempt to shove their views down everyone else's throat.

In response to this outrage, I formed an association called the Society for the Prevention of Mathematical Intolerance (SPOMI). Its main idea is that two plus two does not necessarily equal four. Rather, two plus two equals whatever you believe it equals, as long as you are sincere in your belief. We have formed strategic alliances with the Two Plus Two Equals Five Society, the Two Plus Two Equals Fifty-Seven Society, the Two Plus Two Equals 137.6 Society, and the Flat Earth Society. SPOMI is currently accepting donations. Cash only, no checks please - for some reason we seem to be having trouble keeping up with how much money is in our bank account…


The Einstein Pool: A Christian science fiction novel by Jake Danger

No comments: