The Devil's Advocate

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Sam Harris: Free Will is an Illusion? Or Do Decisions Define Us?: Guest Post by Todd Gnarly, Super-Fundie


Decisions define us. These three words express more wisdom more succinctly than any other three words I know of. Perhaps what they express is only an axiomnevertheless the idea offers great clarity and explanatory power. I am not responsible for my family background, my gender, my body type, my IQ or even what century I was born in, because none of these circumstances were the product of my own decisions. If there is anything essential about ‘me’ (or anyone else), it lies in that zone of freedom that nature has endowed all of us with to one degree or another – the gap between stimulus and response.

 

The decision zone is a zone of total responsibility and no excuses. By definition, I am the only one who can make my own decisions, and I am therefore responsible for them. I may not be responsible for their unforeseen consequences, but I am responsible for the risks that I take and their foreseeable outcomes. Who I am today, to the extent that I am a free being, is nothing more than the sum total of every decision that I have ever made.

 

More than one type of decision is available to help us define ourselves. One class of decisions is moral decisions. I believe that these decisions are the most important of all, because our moral characters are the soil from which everything else about us grows – and nothing good can grow out of bad soil. There are also practical decisions. My decision to become a doctor instead of a lawyer, for example, or to marry Tom instead of Dick or Harry, might critically affect my life even if it lacks moral significance. The third type of decision is ‘trivial’ decisions, such as what to eat for dinner tonight.

 

As far as I know, a dog cannot decide not to bark. But as people, we do have a limited ability to decide what we do and don’t do. This window can be seen as either an opportunity or a burden. Freedom of choice might seem burdensome simply because there is no escape from it. After all, no decision is a decision too – the decision not to take action. Even a non-decision has consequences that we can rightly be held accountable for.

 

I believe that many people seek to escape their freedom. They may try to forfeit their freedom to other people – family, friends, boyfriends (as I have done in the past) or they try to distract themselves from the burden of responsibility by numbing themselves with food, alcohol or drugs. A better response to the unavoidable reality of freedom, I believe, is to simply learn how to make better decisions. After all, decision-makers living in a world filled with adversity allows Earth to produce something that Heaven never could – heroes. I hope that by the end of my life I will be able to rightly count myself among them.

No comments: