The Devil's Advocate

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Time Loop -- an Uncaused Universe?

Suppose I traveled backwards in time (theoretically possible under certain solutions to Einstein's relativity equations). Suppose I had memorized the entire text of Hamlet, then visited William Shakespeare before he wrote Hamlet. Suppose I then spoke out the text while he took dictation. And the rest was history -- he took credit for Hamlet himself, eventually I was born, and I memorized it.

In that case, who wrote Hamlet? I didn't -- all I did was memorize it. Shakespeare didn't -- all he did was take dictation. You might even say that the play Hamlet was an uncaused consequence of a time loop.

Could the universe be the same way? What if, in the far future, our remote descendants travel backwards in time to ignite the Big Bang?

1 comment:

Todd Gnarly, Super-Fundie said...

Circular reasoning.